The Delta Animal Shelter is a 501(c)3 private, non-profit organization dedicated to the direct care of the animals of Delta County. This shelter was operated by the County Sheriff’s department until budget cuts forced a permanent closure of the facility in August of 2011. To prevent a permanent closure, a group of animal lovers, The Delta Area Animal Society, took over operations.We are the county’s only animal shelter, providing a safe shelter, food and medical care to over 1200 animals each year.
We are an open-admissions shelter, and turn no animal away. We shelter and provide direct care to any animal in need. Each animal receives compassionate care from our staff and volunteers while they wait to be reunited with their families or to find a new forever home. Warm blankets, toys and treats, time spent socializing with caring people; all are a part of the animals’ experience at the Delta Animal Shelter.
Fast Facts About the Delta Animal Shelter:
- This shelter was formerly known as the Delta County Animal Shelter. It was owned and operated by Delta County. The Delta Area Animal Society took over operations and ownership of the shelter on August 15th 2011.
- The Delta Animal Shelter is a privately run and operated. It relies on funding from the general public to continue operating.
- This shelter is an Open Admission Shelter, which means they accept all animals regardless of age, health conditions, and situation. Based on the Department of Agriculture’s Save Rate, we have a save rate percentage of 98%, which puts us at a “no-kill” status.
- On average per MONTH the shelter adopts out 60-80 animals, and 20-30 are returned to their owners.
- In 2016 1,926 animals came into the shelter seeking help finding a new forever home, or the current home they were lost from.
- The Delta Animal Shelter has a board of directors, which is made up of 11 individuals from our community. This board makes big financial decisions for the shelter.
- Our membership consists of roughly 80 + people who want to support the animals and help in fundraising and decision making for the shelter.